Tuesday, August 20, 2013

בוקר טוב מירושלים!

Promise me you'll always remember:  You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.


I'm finally here and boy does it feel great.  My travel buddy to Copenhagen made for an enjoyable experience.  Tim is from Charleston and was flying to Denmark for week-long meetings for his work with a pharmaceutical company.  He's married with two kids and has excellent tastes in food, commercials, and sarcasm.  We got along splendidly.  Pre-takeoff, I commented about my anxiety of flying.  He mentioned later that he didn't buy it.  For some reason the response "I'm so drugged right now.  Life is great." was not the one he had expected.  Before we went our separate ways, he made sure to let me know that I was an excellent flying buddy.  Ha.

The Copenhagen airport was nice and cozy.  There were bars and liquor stores everywhere you looked- who wouldn't feel at home?  I half considered stopping in at one until I realized it was 7AM local time and nothing was really open at that point.  Apparently they didn't get the message that it was 5o'clock somewhere...or 1AM from where I came from.  I made it to my gate and grabbed a seat.  An older man started talking to me about Binghamton.  He used to work in the area and then asked if the snailing team was about watching snails swim down the Susquehanna.  Yes, sir....of course that's what that means.

After 5 long hours of struggling to be awake, we finally boarded the flight to Tel Aviv.  Unfortunately, this flying buddy was not as pleasant.  He asked about what my plans were in Israel and then made sure to tell me his thoughts about everything.  Monotheism creates wars.  There's only one god, but we should believe in lots of "sub-gods."  He considers himself to be Orthodox.  When he asked me if driving on Shabbos is allowed in Conservative Judaism, he cut me off and said "Not what people think- what does Hashem say?"  The rest was a bunch of mumbling nonsense.  I don't think he realized that I hadn't slept in about 24 hours and had already popped more drugs.  I finally told him I didn't fly well and proceeded to fall asleep until we were about to land.

Leaving the airport was quick and easy.  I hopped into the sherut to Jersualem along with 9 other people and we were off.  Finally made it to the apartment around 9PM where Sarah was all ready for me.  This place is absolutely beautiful.  I woke up around 6:30 and made a beeline to the roof.  Davening has never felt so incredible before.  The rest of the morning has been spent walking in circles around the apartment and sitting in every chair to see how it feels.  I feel like Sheldon trying to find "my spot."

We're heading out to the shuk today to find food and all other wonderful things.  But for now, I shall sit on our balcony creeping on all of the neighbors.


#rooftopshacharis



No comments:

Post a Comment