Tuesday, August 13, 2013

And so it begins

The path to your destiny lies within the magic of your heart.


The first day I became aware of my "Jewish journey" was August 14th, 2010.  It was a hot and humid Shabbos afternoon down in St. Louis.  I, along with four of my peers, had just spent the week training to become Peer Network Engagement Interns at Hillel.  We sat in on lectures and participated in discussions that provided us with the tools we needed to return to campus and help other students along their journeys.  But this afternoon was set aside for us.  It was time to hear each other's stories and, in doing so, hear our own.

Nearly three years later, I sit here ready to embark on the next big adventure.  To be completely honest, I've never been more scared in my life.  I look at all of the changes I've made since that sunny Missouri day (keeping Shabbat, reconsidering the egalitarian lifestyle, etc...) and can only wonder what will happen in the next 10 months.  It's no secret that I'm on the fast track to observant Judaism; but am I making the right decisions?  I ask myself that on a daily basis.  Is this the path to my destiny?  The world may never know.

The original inspiration for this blog was to be used as a way to keep my parents involved in every step I take.  Phone calls can only last so long and journal entries aren't advanced enough to ask you questions that you had already answered along the way.  Not that parents do that or anything...

In any case, I hope to use this as a place to document what lies ahead.  As Mr. Lightyear likes to say, to infinity and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment